Rotational speed of step motor is defined by pulse rate and its rotational angle is defined by the amount of pulses. These digital signals enable open loop control, which does not require feedback structure. On the other hand the unit step angle is defined by the mechanical structure of a rotor and a stator. The step motor is also called Stepping Motor, Stepper or Pulse Motor because no unified name is established. Tamagawa Seiki Co., Ltd. unifies to call it Step Motor.
- Step motors are able to start and stop, rotate and reverse.
- Rotational angle is proportional to the number of input pulses.
- Rotational speed is proportional to the input pulse rate. (pulse ratio)
- Even in the state of non-exciting, some self-holding torque(Detent torque) is generated because the permanent magnet is used.
- High torque, high response and lightweight.
- Micro step drive, high accuracy and less expensive.
- Maintenance-free because there is no mechanical defacement like a brush for a DC motor.